Thursday, December 3, 2009

Preparing

If you read Jennifer's post on Advent, this may seem a bit redundant, but oh well :) One thing I love about our Church is how they PREPARE for Christmas and Easter. They are very intentional in focusing the congregation on what it is we really are celebrating. Our pastors speak often about slowing down, and meditating on what Christ did for us in coming to this world. Our pastor, Lou, spoke beautifully about it this past Sunday, and really gave a great 'overview' of what Advent is all about. (If you are interested, go to our church's website: http://tampacovenantchurch.org/ , click on the Sermon link, Launch Sermon Player and click on the sermon from 11/29/2009. The whole sermon is great, but the first 10 minutes he really talks a bit about the history of Advent.)
In all the hustle of Christmas, and moving, and having a one-year old, and fixing up a house, and traveling to Michigan, and...Edgar and I wanted to make sure we took time as a family to focus on what it is we anticipate. Ryan and Jennifer have done an Advent calendar for a couple of years, and she was SO NICE to make one for our family. Eli is still pretty young to appreciate what it is we're doing, but I'm thrilled that he gets to start early in this tradition.

This is our calendar. Every day we take off one of the tins and there is something inside that we do. Now...I'm not nearly as creative as Jennifer is, so my ideas for things to do aren't always 'Christmas-y', but it's my first year :) I'm workin' on it :)

Eli noticed it right away while eating his breakfast.

Where's Eli?
Peek-a-boo!
Oh...sorry. I got sidetracked...

Eli lookin' at the tin


What's inside?

'Hey! Where's the candy?'

'Paper?! I can't eat paper!...Well, I'm not SUPPOSE to eat paper...'
'What does it say?'

Yesterday Eli got to spend some fun time reading books with his daddy. (Edgar DOES read books with Eli without having it in a calendar :) It's just that the past few weeks have been...well...crazy, so it was a good excuse to sit down and hang out with his daddy while mommy did the dishes :) )
Every morning when I get up I look up and see that calendar, and it's a reminder of what is coming...and Who came. I LOVE it! It's such a great daily reminder. I just pray that I stop 'eating' and start 'savoring'. (You'll have to listen to the sermon to understand :) )
'Prepare a Place for the coming One!'

No comments: